Why we're here
Our country is more divided than ever. The business model of news has fundamentally changed over the last decade as the internet commoditized the collection and distribution of neutral facts. In response, the media was forced to narrow their audience and pivot to more polarized fare. One after the other, major news outlets have grown increasingly tribal in pursuit of clicks and subscribers.
Meanwhile, congress repealed the Fairness Doctrine, which required the holders of broadcast licenses to present controversial issues in a fair and balanced way. This opened the door further to biased, one-sided reporting on critical issues. Then along came social media with personalized feeds, filter bubbles, and outrage-maximizing algorithms. We never stood a chance.
We’re left in a polarized, fragmented information landscape. We don’t know who to trust, and can’t believe half of what we read. Our connection to reality is growing ever thinner, as truth is replaced by tribal narratives. We’re disenfranchised, angrier, and less informed.
We need a solution.
How Clarity works
Clarity is a transparent news aggregator—one that aims to deliver a concise, clear, and unbiased summary of today’s most important news, by aggregating over the most trusted and popular news outlets from the left, center, and right. We use leading-edge AI to cut through media bias, deliver a more complete view of major topics, and help make you smarter and better-informed.
It's difficult to understand how the media you consume is shaping your perspective. We’re all swimming in our own, personalized filter bubbles, and often only see information that confirms our existing beliefs and opinions.
This phenomenon is exaggerated by the streetlight effect. Different news outlets shine a light on different aspects of reality, and it's easy to get caught up in one perspective without seeing the full picture. This can lead to a distorted understanding of events and issues.
We built Clarity to help you see the full picture. By bringing together bias ratings, attention scores, and the most advanced AI language models, we’re able to help you see where all the lights are shining.
We are the anti-filter for your news.
Everything has a bias
We believe bias is an unavoidable aspect of human nature. To be human is to be biased.
The ranking of news is among the most critical biasing functions, as what you see is all there is.
The status quo is that a set of human editors and engagement-based algorithms decide what you see and know about. While we believe it's impossible to completely eliminate bias, we think building a transparent algorithm that anyone can understand is a critical differentiator in an opaque space.
- NeutralWe don’t take a position on issues or attempt to steer the conversation. Instead, we present the story as it’s being reported from all sides, allowing you to draw your own conclusions.
- Efficient and insightfulWe respect your time and present the news in a concise, easy-to-ingest format. While we aim to present a comprehensive view of the issues, we strive for brevity in the process.
- AI firstWe believe that artificial intelligence (AI) has the potential to enable new capabilities that were previously unimaginable. As a result, we incorporate AI into all aspects of our product.
- Beautiful and elegantWe think you should love the products you interact with every day, and we strive to create products that are beautiful and delightful to use.
- Good for the worldOur goal with Clarity is not just to help make individuals smarter, but to also have a positive impact on the world. We hope that by using Clarity, people can gain a deeper understanding of each other and be less tribal, fostering greater unity and harmony.
Who we are
Rohan is a data scientist and ML engineer who likes to build intuitive & insightful products. For the past year, he’s been filling in our information bubbles with color so we could see them.